• Like us on facebook and suggest us to your friends https://www.facebook.com/smsuspur

Subscribe to The Spur Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook

Stories Written by Daniel O'Brien

So Long, SMSU: Parting Words For Final Exams

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
December 12, 2012
Filed under Commentary

Well, readers, this semester will mark my graduation from this school. It has been a pleasure writing for you in The Spur and even more a pleasure being a part of this student body. As everyone is prepping for final exams, I would like to share with you some words of encouragement. It certainly... (more...)

IMG_8769_OE

Wonder of the World Review

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
December 12, 2012
Filed under A&E

The Black Box’s stage production of David Lindsay-Abaire’s “Wonder of the World” will leave you scratching your head in laughter with its nonsensical absurdities. The play begins with Cass (Turi Jystad) leaving her husband Kip (Fernando Tabares) without any good reason. Armed with a... (more...)

Wonder of the World Postponed: The Black Box will Perform December 1 and 2

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
November 27, 2012
Filed under A&E

Originally scheduled for Thanksgiving Break, the Black Box production “Wonder of the World” has been rescheduled for December 1 and 2. When asked about the postponement, Co-Director Lynn Lafky said, “We believe that the show has a lot of potential and all of us really want to make this... (more...)

Telling Women’s Stories

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
November 27, 2012
Filed under News

All Southwest Minnesota State University students, male or female, are encouraged to tell women’s stories in an annual contest held by the women’s studies committee. Authors’ entries may include any combination of fictional, nonfictional or poetic works. Of authors’ submissions, Professor... (more...)

He Ruined my Childhood: College Comedian Adam Grabowski Visits SMSU

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
November 13, 2012
Filed under A&E

On Nov. 7, jokester Adam Grabowski descended upon his student audience. Not only did he gut check everyone with laughs, but he also ruined everyone’s childhood memories. The Chicago native has been named highest rated comedian by Campus Activities Magazine and he has performed at over 150... (more...)

StarWars Disney illustration 001OE

Mickey Mouse is your New Master: George Lucas sells Lucasfilm to Disney

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
November 13, 2012
Filed under A&E

It is time for true Star Warsians everywhere to don their cosplay Jedi robes, grab their Force FX lightsabers, and rebel against an evil empire: Disney. The decision by Star Wars creator, George Lucas, to sell Lucasfilm to Disney for more than $4 billion shocked everyone. My opinion is that... (more...)

DSC_078002OE

The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 Story

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
November 1, 2012
Filed under A&E

As the title implies, “The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” presents murder as funny. This production finds a group of actors, singers, and songwriters as the guests in the Von Grossenkneuten mansion in December of 1940. When the mansion is snowed in, what was supposed to an audition quickly... (more...)

254392_4837420_nOE

Slender Man is Here!

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
October 31, 2012
Filed under Variety

-A student in Sweetland Hall has been missing since Oct. 25, and the disappearance is being investigated by police. Per orders of the investigation, the student’s identity is to remain anonymous for the time being. The following journal entry was discovered in the student’s dorm room on... (more...)

Be (Para)normal: Lynn Rush, SMSU alumna and paranormal romance author, reads at Marshall-Lyon County Library

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
October 16, 2012
Filed under A&E

On Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. the atmosphere in the Marshall-Lyon County Library became paranormally steamy. Lynn Rush read excerpts from her paranormal romance novels for the Visiting Author series held by the Creative Writing program at Southwest Minnesota State University. Rush graduated from SMSU... (more...)

What Lines: Homecoming Improv Review

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
October 16, 2012
Filed under A&E

Someone killed Dora the Explorer with a high-five on a fashion runway. Is this the plot for a really demented, off-the-wall piece of fan fiction? Nope, it’s just one of the many wacky skits that happened during the Take 2 Comedy Improv held in the Black Box. During Homecoming weekend, the... (more...)

This Planet Should Be Perfect

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
October 16, 2012
Filed under Commentary

When one looks at the bad things that happen in this world, it is easy to say that things are screwed up. Don’t get me wrong, for there are a lot of beautiful and wonderful things and experiences out there. But one still does get the feeling that something is not right. This can very well... (more...)

IMG_1037OE

Eric Vincent Concert

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
October 3, 2012
Filed under A&E

Imagine sitting at a café in the middle of Paris. You would most likely expect to have the mood set by a French singer with a warm, smiling voice. This is how Eric Vincent began his performance at Southwest Minnesota State University on Wednesday, Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. Vincent is a French singer... (more...)

Illustration by Samantha O'Brien

Mainstage Theatre Preview

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
September 20, 2012
Filed under A&E

The upcoming Mainstage Theatre season promises to provide a bounty of music and laughs.  From dancing and singing to murder and family vacations, this season’s line of productions offer a great range of things for audiences to enjoy. The first play of the season, “The Musical Comedy Murders... (more...)

Black Box Preview

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
September 20, 2012
Filed under A&E

“We have a good cast and we’re all like a family, so it’ll be a lot of fun,” said Jessa Roberts, the Drama Club president. For this fall semester, the Black Box team will be performing in productions that will be entertaining and innovative.  In the past, the Black Box has tended to... (more...)

Bart recites one of his new poems.

Minnesota’s Premiere Poet: SMSU alumnus Bart Sutter talks about SMSU and his poetry

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
September 20, 2012
Filed under News

Sept. 18th marked the date when Minnesota author, Bart Sutter, came to SMSU to perform with his esteemed brother, musician Ross Sutter.  The duo delighted the attending audience with poetry, song, and humor (of a very distinct Northern Midwest nature) to showcase Bart Sutter’s new book,... (more...)

DSCF0318_OE

Classically Contemporary Poetry

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
April 17, 2012
Filed under A&E

The William Whipple Art Gallery is packed to capacity.  Anticipation permeates the air as listeners eagerly wait for the poet to share her work.  When she begins, every ear delights in hearing the poetry leap from the page. April 11 marked the date when English professor Susan McLean read... (more...)

39Steps_OE

Alfred Hitchcock’s “The 39 Steps”

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
April 17, 2012
Filed under A&E

Patrick Barlow’s uproariously comical adaption of Alfred Hitchcock’s “The 39 Steps” delivers like a bullet to the funny bone. This spoof of spies, murder, and romance begins in London, 1935.  Bored bachelor Richard Hannay (Jason Shores) allows secret agent Annabella Schmidt (Sonja... (more...)

Some Girl(s)

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
April 3, 2012
Filed under A&E

“Sorry for the leaving you hanging bit; it’s kind of a bad habit of mine.” –Guy In Neil LaBute’s play Some Girl(s), Guy (Joshua R. Johnson) is a writer on the verge of marriage when he suddenly decides to fly across the country and meet his ex-girlfriends.  He says that he wants... (more...)

A Woman’s Tale: Winners of the Telling Women’s Stories Contest

Daniel O'Brien, A&E Editor
April 3, 2012
Filed under Variety

Three young women come up to the podium in turn.  Each one has come to share their stories.  As they speak, one realizes that these are not just their stories but that many women across the globe are represented here. On the 28th of March, the 3rd annual Telling Women’s Stories contest... (more...)

For the Joy of Song

Daniel O'Brien, Staff Writer
March 21, 2012
Filed under A&E

Like a passionate god out of ancient mythos, Dr. Stephen Kingsbury conducts the choir.  His movements and signals, sometimes violent and other times gentle, are the commands of an intricate dance of voice and song.  This whirlwind of music evokes feelings in the audience that transcend mere... (more...)

Black Box Theatre Presents “Some Girl(s)”

Daniel O'Brien, Staff Writer
March 21, 2012
Filed under A&E

Beginning March 22, the Black Box will be performing Neil LaBute’s romantic comedy, “Some Girl(s).” In this play, Guy (played by Joshua R. Johnson) is a writer about to get married.  Before his marriage, however, he travels all over the United States in an attempt to gain forgiveness... (more...)

No Silver Bullet for Gun Control

Daniel O'Brien, Staff Writer
March 21, 2012
Filed under Commentary

With the recent Ohio school shooting so fresh in our minds, we have to again consider the question of gun control.  Having recently read “Give a Boy a Gun” by Todd Strasser, this topic has been churning in my head lately.  For those of you who have not read it, the (entirely fictional)... (more...)