Robert Forget named new Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rebecca Klehr, Staff Writer

Southwest Minnesota State University has hired Robert Forget as the new Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Success.

Born and raised in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Forget brings to SMSU a background in admissions and student enrollment work from different universities across the Midwest.

Forget worked for 15 years at Michigan Technological University where he held several positions: admission counselor, assistant director of admissions, associate director for recruitment and director of admission/recruitment.

He later made his academic and admissions journey to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he spent five years working as the associate director of admissions. He also received his master’s degree in educational leadership of policy analysis at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

He spent some time working as the dean of admissions at Viterbo University in La Crosse, Wisconsin before making his way to SMSU.

Forget thinks that SMSU is a good fit considering his past jobs.

“I started a job search for a vice president position in the Midwest area. I wanted to stay in the Midwest because of my two children and I have family in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin,” said Forget. “I saw the posting for this position and I thought my past work experience worked well with the job’s requirements. I liked the size of SMSU and I also liked how it’s a public liberal arts university.”

Forget’s first impression of SMSU and the Marshall community are very positive and finds everyone very welcoming and friendly. He also said that he likes the close-knit community between SMSU and Marshall.

Forget’s responsibilities keep him busy as his position works with six different SMSU departments: Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Records and Registration and Advising, Student Success, International Student Services and Upward Bound.

Forget said he was surprised at how quickly he was able to adjust to his new position and feels already at home at SMSU and in Marshall.

Along with his everyday responsibilities, Forget plans to learn about and understand the campus culture and history in order to effectively discover ways to improve student retention and improve marketing tactics to attract future students to SMSU.

“The university is on the verge of great things,” Forget  said. “SMSU has terrific things to offer and is a best kept secret. I want to get the university to be known nationally.”

Outside of working at SMSU, Forget has a wife named Liz, two children, and a dog named Chloe.