Making a Comeback: SMSU Wheelchair Basketball 2-1 Over Weekend

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman David Evjen contributes to a competitive play.

Cody Sleiter, Staff Photographer

Cody Sleiter, Staff Photographer

Cody Sleiter, Staff Photographer

Now at an overall record of 2-5 in the 2012-2013 season, the Southwest Minnesota State University wheelchair basketball team started making a comeback during this weekend’s 3-game battle against the Madonna Magic.
The team came back from a four game loss against the University of Illinois. Two games were held on Saturday, Nov. 11 with both a win and a loss for the SMSU team. Another game was held on Sunday, Nov. 12 with SMSU taking another win against the Magic. The fourth game was canceled.
In the first game against the Madonna Magic, held at 6 p.m., SMSU won in a close game with a score of 53-46 overall. The Magic came back to defeat them in the second game, held at 8 p.m., with a score of 39-46.
The team came back with a 52-41 win over the Magic early on Sunday, giving the team its second win for the season.
The team will face off against four teams this upcoming weekend, on Nov. 16 and 17, in a total of five games. The teams SMSU will face include Missouri, Wisconsin-Whitewater, Texas-Arlington and Edinboro (PA). All games will be held in Whitewater, Wis.
The team roster for the 2012-13 season includes freshmen David Evjen, Cody Seehafer and Rick Kamm; juniors Trisha Kienitz, Savoy Brown and David Nelson; and seniors Craig Popper, Jacob Tews and Derek Klinkner. The coaching staff includes head coach Lew Shaver, Klinkner as the assistant coach and student assistants Popper and Michael Hanna.
The next home game for the team will be held Jan. 19, 2013.
For more information on SMSU athletics, check out http://smsumustangs.com/index.aspx.